Spicy Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Mayonnaise
For the Black Bean Burgers
- 16 oz can Black Beans, Drained and Rinsed
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, Cut Into 2 Inch Pieces
- 1/2 cup Chopped Scallions
- 3 tbsp Cilantro, Chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Peeled
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 1/2 cup Rolled Oats
- Whole Wheat Buns
- 1 Small Avocado, Sliced
For the Spicy Chipotle Sauce
- 3 1/2 tbsp Smart Balance Omega Light Mayonnaise Dressing
- 1 tbsp Canned Chipotle in Adobo Sauce
- Combine mayonnaise and chipotle, set aside.
- Dry the beans well, extra moisture keep the burgers from sticking.
- In a medium bowl, mash beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
- In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, cilantro, onion, and garlic, then add oats, then eggs and spices. Stir mixture into mashed beans.
- Divide mixture into patties and place them onto a flat surface covered with wax paper.
- Freeze at least 2 hours before cooking or keep frozen until ready to cook.
- Heat a lightly sprayed skillet to medium heat and cook frozen burgers about 7 minutes on each side.
- If grilling, Pre-heat grill over medium heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. Grill 7-8 minutes on each side or you can bake in the oven at 375° on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Serve on a whole grain bun with chipotle sauce, avocado, onion, and tomato.
Live a Nourished Existence,