Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegetarian, Vegan, Raw, Paleo
I’ve been playing around with this recipe for a couple of weeks now. I make a protein shake (or some version of a Chai Tea Smoothie) every single morning. Smoothies are a quick and easy way to pack in nutrients and sustain yourself throughout your morning activities. The nutritious potential of your smoothie depends on how creative you get with your ingredients. There are endless possibilities!
Personally, I am a huge fan of chocolate. I love everything about chocolate. I’m not talking about your standard run-of-the-mill, over-processed and over-sugared milk chocolate. I’m talking about pure, rich, and decadent raw cacao.
Raw Cacao beans in their natural, unprocessed, unaltered state are rich in nutrients and beneficial to health. Raw chocolate or cacao powder contains many important vitamins and minerals including:
- Magnesium, and other essential minerals including calcium, sulfur, zinc, iron, copper, potassium, and manganese
- Polyphenols called flavonoids, with antioxidant properties
- Vitamins: B1, B2, B3, B5, B9, E
- Essential heart-healthy fat: oleic acid a monounsaturated fat
Raw cacao has also been shown to lower blood pressure and improve circulation, promote cardiovascular function, neutralize free radicals, improve digestion, and enhance mental well-being.
As most of you know, I am a die-hard coconut addict as well. I live for coconut. I love its lauric acids, medium-chain triglycerides, and silky, buttery taste. Lauric acid has been shown to increases the good HDL cholesterol in the blood to help improve cholesterol ratio levels. Coconut oil can also boost thyroid function helping to increase metabolism, energy, and endurance. It increases digestion and helps to absorb fat-soluble vitamins.
Seriously, is there anything a coconut cannot do?
These two superfoods are power-packing, super-breakfast winners in my book.
What a perfectly healthy and delicious way to start your day (and satisfy a sweet tooth!)
Raw Cacao and Coconut Protein Shake
- Optional Additional Add Ins
- Combine all base ingredients in your Magic Bullet, Vitamix, or Blender.
- Choose your optional add-ins (or just stick with the base) and blend on high speed until fully combined.
- Pour into a glass, garnish with a touch of cacao powder, berries, coconut flakes, or cinnamon. (If you’re feeling extra ambitious, wet the rim of your glass beforehand and dip into shredded coconut flakes.)