Everyone loves Mexican food!
Unfortunately, most of the stuff we run to the restaurant for isn’t exactly in keeping with a healthy lifestyle. I took my favorite flavors and threw them together in a bowl, sans tortilla and grease.
Packed with veggies, protein, and plenty of spice; this burrito bowl is definitely a winner.
Quick & Healthy Burrito Bowl
- 1/2 Cup Brown or Long Grain Rice
- 1 Chicken Breast
- 2 tbsp Taco Seasoning (or 1 Package Taco Seasoning Mix – I recommend Trader Joe’s.*)
- 1 Can of Black Beans, Drained and Rinsed
- 1 Handful Green Leaf Lettuce or Spinach, Shredded
- Corn Salsa (See HowSweetItIs for an AMAZING recipe)
- Guacamole, either homemade or healthy store bought
- Shredded Cheddar, Mozzarella, or Parm
- Greek Yogurt (optional sour cream replacement)
* Ingredients: sea salt, cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika, onion, garlic, black pepper, red bell pepper, oregano, chili pepper, and smoked paprika.
- Cook rice according to directions on the box or package. Add 1 tsp taco seasoning for extra spice. (optional)
- Meanwhile, rub your chicken breast with remaining taco seasoning. Grill outside, on your countertop grill, or simply sauté on the stove top. When finished, cube the chicken.
- Assemble your bowl starting with rice first. Add black beans, cubed chicken, shredded lettuce or spinach, corn salsa, guacamole, and sprinkle the top with shredded cheddar. Need a sour cream fix? Try a dollop of greek yogurt instead.
- Voila, you are done! Enjoy.
- Leftovers can be saved in separate containers for up to 1 week. Tip: Meal prep burrito bowls for lunch.