May 12th is National Women’s Checkup Day!
The 12th annual “National Women’s Checkup Day” will be Monday May 12th, 2014 during National Women’s Health Week.
What Is National Women’s Checkup Day?
May 12th 2014 is the day dedicated towards encouraging women to schedule their annual well-woman visit with a professional healthcare provider.
What Is A Well-Woman Visit?
A well-woman visit is an annual checkup – It’s a time to see your healthcare provider and discuss your health.
During a well-woman visit you might…
- Discuss your health habits and family history
- Get, or schedule, necessary screenings and exams such as a pap smear, breast exam, or mammogram
- Set future health goals
- Get routine lab work
- Get yourself tested for STD’s
- Discuss family planning, contraception, and reproductive health
Be sure to schedule your well-woman visit each and every year. Under the Affordable Care Act, a well-woman visit is considered a preventive service and must be covered by most health insurance plans at no additional cost to you. During your well-woman visit you can receive many screenings free of charge such as screenings for blood pressure, cholesterol, cervical cancer, and more. If your healthcare provider determines you need additional care, the additional visits are also covered.
Why Is It Important For Women To Participate In This Effort?
Well-woman visits help you get the preventive care you need. Screenings can find diseases early, when they are easier to treat. They can also identify other health problems and help to lower your risk for many conditions, like heart disease. Under the Affordable Care Act, many women can receive these services without paying a deductible or copay.
How Can You Participate In This Important Event?
There are many ways to participate in National Women’s Checkup Day!
- Schedule your well-woman visit with your healthcare provider
- Learn which screenings you need and at what age
- Review the many preventive services for women covered under the Affordable Care Act
- Encourage your female family and friends to participate
- Share information through social media