“When you over-eat before bed, your body is much more likely to store those calories as fat,” says nutritionist Manuel Villacorta, R.D., a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. You can still eat something, he says. It just needs to be the right snack.
So, what is the right snack?
- Less than 300 calories—anything more is a meal.
- Light, high protein, and low carb.
- Wait at least an hour before hitting the sack so you have plenty of time to digest.
Greek Yogurt with Honey & Cinnamon
Here’s a healthy, late-night snack that you can enjoy when you’re craving something sweet.
- 1 cup Plain or Vanilla Greek Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Agave or Raw Honey
- Cinnamon to Taste
- 1/8 tsp Vanilla
- Optional: Strawberries, peaches, bananas, blueberries, raspberries, slivered almonds, walnuts, or chia seeds.
- Mix all ingredients
- Enjoy your healthy snack!