Healthy Holiday Hack: Reach Your Goals One Step at a Time
Between cocktail parties, Christmas shopping, and traveling to see family, finding time for fitness might seem like a holiday miracle. Many people simply give up on health + fitness goals during the holidays and start again fresh with the New Year.
Before you succumb to holiday weight gain, keep in mind that 10,000 steps is the equivalent of walking 5 miles – which can add up to major calories burned! Working out doesn’t always consist of one hour of weight lifting or 3 miles on the treadmill. I invite you to open up your mind to a new way of thinking about fitness – one that’s less structured and intimidating and more fun and achievable instead!
Small Steps. Big Impact.
When you’re pressed for time, it’s important to make the most of it. 10,000 steps is a great daily goal. It’s just enough that the average person doesn’t hit this number with a standard desk job. 10,000 steps requires just a little bit of effort but not any additional time, which is perfect for the busy gal on the go!
Another reason to strive for 10,000 steps? For most people, it’s convenient, free, and simple to do with just a little change to your daily routine.
The Magic of a Tracker: Fitbit Charge
Over the years I have worn several different fitness trackers. I find that trackers hold me accountable and keep my goals fresh + fun. I’ve had the same tracker on my wrist for 2 years. Well, that particular tracker is now collecting dust in the bottom of a drawer.
Recently, I had to opportunity to try out the brand new Fitbit Charge. My mind (and everything I thought I knew about fitness trackers) has been blown.
First and foremost, I need a wristband. I have always been reluctant to purchase a Fitbit because if I clip something to my waistband, it is (without a doubt) going into the washing machine.
Charge is the newest high-performance wristband that delivers all-day activity tracking and real-time fitness stats. (I literally sync my Charge to my iPhone and watch, in real-time, as my steps increase – SO cool!) This little gadget is perfect for stepping up everyday activities to improve overall health.
- The most accurate tracking of steps of any of my fitness trackers
- A bright LED display that I currently have set to display the time (watch + fitness tracker? Perfect!) This display also runs through steps, miles, calories burned, and floors climbed.
- Automatic sleep detection that monitors sleep quality using motion analysis. This can also be paired with a silent, vibrating alarm! [This is my personal favorite feature!] I have never had a tracker that was smart enough to monitor sleep. The silent alarm (which vibrates on your wrist) is perfect for a morning wake up or gentle reminder throughout the day.
- Exercise tracking to easily record workouts
- A high-quality, water-resistant band with improved clasp. My last tracker was constantly unsnapping on my wrist. No problems with the new Fitbit Charge.
- Last, but certainly not least, the battery life! Mine lasted for 6 days before it needed to be charged again. The band was easily charged to competition while I hopped into the shower. [Aka: no steps were lost.] 🙂
10,000 Step Challenge
For the entire month of December, I challenge you to 10,000 steps daily. Check your tracker regularly throughout the day to ensure you are on track for hitting your number.
Find yourself falling behind? Add in some movement! Walk around while talking on the phone, take the dog for a walk around the block, walk your children to school, take the stairs instead of the elevator, park at the OTHER end of the parking lot, or do jumping jacks. Creating friendly competition with a friend or family member allows you to hold yourself accountable and makes the challenge all the more fun.
Take photos of your activities, upload them to Instagram, and make sure you hashtag #Findyourfit
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Fitbit through their partnership with POPSUGAR Select. While I was compensated to write a post about Fitbit, all opinions are my own.