Great Ways To Enjoy Natures Most Amazing Superfood
Coconut is high in medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) which is a type of healthy fat that is easily absorbed by the body. MCT’s can help reduce body fat and improve insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance. Coconut also contains a type of saturated fat called lauric acid. This particular fat increases good (HDL) cholesterol and lowers bad (LDL) cholesterol in the blood to help improve overall cholesterol ratio levels. Lauric acid has also been shown to have antimicrobial properties.
There Are Many Varieties Of Coconut
- Coconut Oil
- Coconut Butter
- Coconut Water
- Coconut Milk
- Coconut Meat
Coconut Oil is, quite simply, oil that has been extracted from the coconut meat. Coconut oil can be refined (no coconut taste) or unrefined (coconut taste) and is a wonderful oil to cook and bake with.
Coconut Butter is dense and creamy with a rich, nutty flavor. It is made from the coconut meat (the white, fleshy inside part of the coconut) and pureed into a thick butter.
Coconut Water is the liquid found inside a young coconut and can be enjoyed straight from the coconut itself! Coconut water is natures very own sports drink, packed with nutrients and electrolytes.
Coconut Milk is a white, milky liquid that is pressed from the coconut meat. Coconut milk is a great base for cooking and can be used in creamy desserts.
Coconut Meat is the white, fleshy inside part of the coconut. Most commonly seen as “shredded coconut, coconut flakes, or coconut shavings.”
7 Things To Do With Coconut
- Melt coconut butter and stir in basil and black pepper; drizzle over cooked sweet potatoes, broccoli, asparagus, or squash.
- Combine 1 cup frozen fruit with 2 tbsp of coconut butter and 1 tbsp of coconut milk to make a healthy sorbet. Puree in food processor or blender until creamy and smooth.
- Melt 3/4 cup coconut butter and 1/4 cup raw honey; stir in 1/2 cup cocoa powder and 2 tsp vanilla for a perfect, raw frosting.
- Dollop a generous amount of coconut butter on top of cooked lentils; stir in curry, cumin, cilantro, and green peas for a quick and healthy meal.
- Air pop 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels; melt 2 tbsp coconut butter and drizzle over the top for a tasty movie-night treat.
- Combine 1/2 cup softened coconut butter with 1/4 cup maple syrup and 1/4 tsp cardamom; use instead of butter on pancakes, waffles, and toast.
- Keep a jar of coconut oil on your bathroom counter; smooth across your skin at night as a rich lotion.