6 Healthy Super Bowl Snacks
The snacks at most football game parties are tasty, but rarely healthy. Super Bowl Weekend is one of the biggest calorie fests of the year for the average American. The average football fan eats about a day’s worth of calories during the game each year.
To put this into perspective, the U.S. Calorie Control Council estimates that Americans pack away 11 million pounds of chips on Super Bowl Sunday.
This year volunteer to bring snacks that are delicious and healthy. (Nobody needs to know they are healthy.) These 6 delicious and healthy game day recipes will keep your weight from rivaling an NFL linebacker’s this football season.
White Bean Dip
- 2 cups White Bans, Drained (Save Liquid)
- 1/4 cup Bean Cooking Liquid
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Peeled & Minced
- 2 tablespoons Chopped Fresh Dill
- 2 tablespoons Chopped Fresh Mint
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1 tablespoon Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Natural Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Powder
- Additional Olive Oil and Fresh Herbs, for garnish
- Drain the beans, reserving 1/4 cup of the bean juice.
- Combine the beans along with 1/4 cup of bean juice in a blender or food processor and blend with the garlic, dill, mint, parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and red pepper powder. Puree it long enough for it to be completely smooth, which will take several minutes. Scrap down the sides if necessary.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning, adding more sea salt or olive oil if desired. If it’s too thick, add a tablespoon or so of the reserved bean liquid or olive oil.
- Garnish with a generous drizzle of olive oil and a scattering of fresh chopped herbs.
- Serve the dip with toasted slices of whole-grain bread or whole-grain crackers.
Skinny Queso Dip
- 1 cup Skim Milk
- 3 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup Onion, Minced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 Poblano Pepper, Diced
- 1-2 Jalapeños, Seeded & Diced
- 1/2 cup Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 10 oz can Rotel Tomatoes w/Chiles, Drained & Diced
- 1/4 cup Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
- Juice of 1 Lime
- Sea Salt & Fresh Cracked Black Pepper, To Taste
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Ancho Chili Powder
- 1 3/4 cups Shredded Fat-Free Sharp Cheddar
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup of the milk with 3 tbsp of cornstarch to create a slurry; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, poblano, and jalapeno and cook until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Season with sea salt, to taste.
- Add the chicken broth and the rest of the milk.
- Bring to a boil and cook for about 3 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Add the slurry (cornstarch mixture) to the pan and stir. Simmer a minute until it bubbles and thickens, then reduce heat to low.
- Add the drained tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, sea salt, and pepper.
- Remove from heat and add the cheese. Stir until it melts completely.
- Serve immediately.
Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Oat Flour (Make By Blending Rolled Oats)
- 2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 6 1/2 cups Cauliflower Florets
- 3/4 cup Sriracha (or Franks Red Hot)
- 1 tablespoon Melted Coconut Butter or EarthBalance
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Lightly spray a large non-stick baking sheet with oil.
- Combine the water, oat flour, and garlic powder in a bowl and stir until well combined.
- Coat the cauliflower pieces with the oat flour mixture and place on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is baking, combine the hot sauce and butter in a small bowl.
- Pour the hot sauce mixture over the baked cauliflower and continue baking for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with celery sticks and skinny blue cheese dressing, if desired.
Veggie Pizza with Spinach & Cauliflower
(From Undressed Skeleton)
- 1/3 Can Organic Pizza Sauce
- 2 Cups Fat-Free Mozzarella Cheese
- 3 Cups Fresh Spinach
- 6 Cups Chopped Cauliflower
- 2 Large Egg Whites
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Cup Diced Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Sliced Red Onion
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Microwave Cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl for 4 minutes.
- Add to mixer/food processor and mix for 4 minutes on medium.
- Chop spinach and add to mixer with cauliflower. Add egg whites, garlic, and 1 cup of cheese to mixer. Keep mixing on medium until a foamy texture appears.
- Spread the mixture onto a greased baking sheet with a spatula and flatten it out until there are no holes.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of cheese, bell peppers, sauce, and onions on top of crust cook for another 10-13 minutes until crust is lightly brown and toppings are cooked.
- Cut into squares.
Spicy Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Mayonnaise
Black Bean Burgers
- 16 oz can Black Beans, Drained and Rinsed
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, Cut Into 2 Inch Pieces
- 1/2 cup Chopped Scallions
- 3 tbsp Cilantro, Chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Peeled
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 1/2 cup Rolled Oats
- Whole Wheat Buns
- 1 Small Avocado, Sliced
Spicy Chipotle Sauce
- 3 1/2 tbsp Smart Balance Omega Light Mayonnaise Dressing
- 1 tbsp Canned Chipotle in Adobo Sauce
- Combine mayonnaise and chipotle, set aside.
- Dry the beans well, extra moisture keep the burgers from sticking.
- In a medium bowl, mash beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
- In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, cilantro, onion, and garlic, then add oats, then eggs and spices. Stir mixture into mashed beans.
- Divide mixture into patties and place them onto a flat surface covered with wax paper.
- Freeze at least 2 hours before cooking or keep frozen until ready to cook.
- Heat a lightly sprayed skillet to medium heat and cook frozen burgers about 7 minutes on each side.
- If grilling, Pre-heat grill over medium heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. Grill 7-8 minutes on each side or you can bake in the oven at 375° on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Serve on a whole grain bun with chipotle sauce, avocado, onion, and tomato.
Triple Chocolate Chunk Muffin
- 1 3/4 cup Quick Oats
- 3 Egg Whites
- 3/4 cup Raw Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1-1/2 Tbsp Vinegar
- 1-1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1-1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 cup Hot Water
- 3/4 cup Agave
- 1/2 cup 70% Dark Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with foil cupcake liners or spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, mix all of the ingredients together, except for the chocolate.
- Place mixture in a bowl and gently stir in chocolate chips.
- Spoon mixture into prepared muffin pans.
- Place muffins tins in the oven for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.